Translate

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Berries


In addition to local fruits i also love to eat berry, my legacy from a stint in Europe. Try to grow berry (raspberry, blueberry, blackberry and strawberry).
Despite doing all that i can to simulate its natural condition, only a few strawberries germinate.


 This strawberry seedling is the sole survivor of caterpillars attack.



This strawberry plant has produced  runners. Now i have 7 pots of strawberry plant . However after 5 months there is still no fruit!


                                     
  But i have mulberry which is the favourite of house sparrow. Most of the time they   end up with bigger share than me.


                                
I also have seedling of local berry ( pokok kemunting) . It is very slow growing; i wonder how long it will take before I can taste the fruit of my labour. 

                                     

2 comments:

  1. How do you actually grow the strawberries from seeds?mind if you share?I have tried. manage to germinate them but they will then dried out and died..sedih :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sound like you strawberry seedling is infected by fungal( mildew)I bought stratified seeds, I just sow it and wait for it to germinate. Strawberry are hardy, once it germinates. Make sure that the medium where you sow contain sterile peat ( you can buy it in ' kedai peladang'). Keep the medium damp but not wet and under partial shade (water it in the morning, not necessarily everyday. Once it has 2 true leaves plant it in it's permanent position. I use equal amount of mineral soil and compost.

      Delete