Translate

Friday 13 June 2014

lilium


        I am experimenting with Asiatic lily since the last 3 years. The first year the bulbs grew a shoot for 4 cm then it stopped growing and dies because i grew the bulbs at the height of hot season. Last year i received the bulbs in May.  I planted a few bulbs while some of the bulbs were kept in the fridge and planted it in September. One of the bulbs that were planted in May gave me a single bloom while rest of the bulbs rot.   All bulbs that were planted in grew September grew to a height of 8 to 12 inches but none of it bloom.

 Early this year i notice many bulbils along the leaf axis.I  leave my bulbils on as long as possible to get as big as they can, some even start to leaf out and grow roots on the stem.  I pick the bulbils and plant it in a separate pot and it seems it is doing pretty well even though it is growing slowly. I’m hoping that the bulbils will form a mature bulb which will acclimatise to our climate hence as hardy and vigorous as it is in its native habitat.

one and only bloom

moderate growth but no flower

many bulbils along the leaf axis
 
stem bulbil

a month old bulbils

4 months old bulbil
                                              

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful lily! I think it smells delightfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nice to hear from you;-) It has no smell, maybe my nose is not sensitive:-(

      Delete
  2. waaaaaaannn....nnaaaaaaaakkkkk... errmmm but my daylily dh xbrbunga dh pun.... :(

    ReplyDelete